Monday 2 January 2006

A 'Good' and 'Not so Good' Day...

The Good...
Set off from Romsey across beautiful fields and through beautiful villages seeing many thatched roofs on all sorts of buildings from homes to pubs. Drove into Salisbury from the West... it is by far the best way to drive in as you are above the town and the first glimpse you get is of the Spire on Salisbury Cathedral, there is no high rise building in Salisbury so the Cathedral dominates the whole town just perfectly. I have made my final decision! My favourite Cathedral from the outside is Salisbury and my favourite Cathedral from the inside is Winchester... I've seen enough Cathedrals now. Anyway moving on...

The Not so Good...
Stonehenge. I love this place and I love the Salisbury Plains, we've been here a couple of times, once when it was bitterly cold and the wind off those Plains was something I've never forgotten! We have a beautiful photo of David standing amongst the stones taken in 1968. Somehow the stones look smaller than I remember, how can that be? What's this??? Tourists... coach loads of em! Nah I'm not stopping! One can't visit Stonehenge with hoards of people about... you just can't! Stonehenge is a beautifully peaceful place and is best viewed at dusk or early morning with just a couple of others.

The Good...
The National Trust Village of Lacock. Mmmmmm now that's better, what an amazing village this is, I wish the cars had been kept away because they are the only thing that isn't at least 500 years old! We visit the local pub for a coffee, diet coke and Victoria Cake... Yummo! Lacock looks very familiar to me because it was the Village the Bennets lived in in the TV series Pride and Prejudice, Moll Flanders and Emma used the Village as well... check it out here... http://www.corshamtown.co.uk/lacock.htm#Costume





The Not so Good...
Bath... Well not Bath it's self just the traffic jam trying to get into Bath then the many carparks we sat in waiting for a park till we gave up and decided to come back another day, when it isn't a public holiday and there wasn't a big Rugby game on! We give it one more change, then another, then one more chance and bingo!! we find a park after one hour and 15 minutes of trying.

The Good...
We are just over the river to Sally Lunn's, it's 3:30pm and we are starving for our lunch. Sally Lunn, they think, was a French Refugee who started making these big buns in 1680, the cafe is in a building that is the oldest house in Bath built in 1480. Jane Austen amongst others took tea here so we decide to sit in her room! I have a toasted smoked salmon sandwich and David has chicken and... a first in England... leaf tea in a pot! The sandwichs are made with bread sliced from one of the Sally Lunn Buns.
Sally Lunns and a photo of the famous Sally Lunn Bun, see 50p coin for size.(50p is the same size as a 50c)


The Not so Good...
We are in a hurry now to find 'Old Glory' an American patchwork shop... but to put you and myself out of agony... it was closed!!

Bath is a wonderful place and I may catch the train from London one day and walk around it more throughly, I have been there before but I never fail to fall in love as soon as I come back!
The very beautiful Pulteny Bridge, I remember watching an episode of 'Inspector Morse' shot here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home