Saturday 12 November 2005

Harringey Council

Wood Green is in the London Borough of Harringey. It is a very large Council area covering very posh areas as well as the not so posh… Wood Green is about middle of the poshness. As tenants we have to pay Council Tax we don’t know how much yet but are told to expect about a £400 bill.

This week we received a Residents Update which is full of very positive results as well as many very positive promises… here are a few of the results…

£1 million invested in road and pavement improvements.

Libraries issue 1.3 million books and Haringey the only UK library service with full ‘wi-fi’ access.

Four main Harringey parks awarded ‘Green Flag’ status.

Healthy Food: A parent-fun café opened as part of £450,000 investment in creating early years, family support and community facilities in Noel Park. (This is brilliant and is half way between Tom and us, it has a wonderful play area for little people just like Abigail Rose… Emma takes Abi a couple of times a week so she can play with other kids.)

52 Crack Houses closed this year.

Am I the only person absolutely gob smacked by this statement! It was just slipped in the middle of the Crime report but yesterday while I was up the High Street there it was in big black letters on a white Billboard in pride of place right on the High Street. I am very glad 52 Crack Houses have been closed down but??? Is that all of them??? How come 52 managed to start up in the first place??? Was one of them in that messy house further up Moselle Avenue??? Oh well! I guess none of my friends can say their local Councils have closed down 52 Crack Houses in the past 12 months! I bet Ku-ring-gai Council can’t.

Update on the Man across the Road.

The truck continues to fill up with never ending rubbish, it sits in our road for sometimes days at a time, today it has a trailer on the back and has just driven off, (it’s 11am Saturday) The thing is… it never comes back empty!
Yesterday I was heading up to the High Street and noticed two men in a doorway a couple of blocks and a couple of streets away when I heard a nice clear ‘Hello!’ I looked around and it was my man, I didn’t recognize him away from my Street :-)
Later that evening he was walking towards me with a younger man when he said ‘ello Darlin’ At first I didn’t believe what I'd heard and might have taken offence if he hadn’t added, ‘Awright then!’ I realized he was speaking Cockney!
Now don’t call me a racist but I’ve been having a giggle every time I hear ‘Aright then!’ coming from the Kurds next door when most of them can hardly speak English and now ‘ello Darlin’ from the Man across the road. I know you have to be there but it gets me chuckling for ages after!
We have a mystery though…as we passed, the young man turned back and said, ‘He made your stairs’ I smiled and said, ‘Yes he did!’ But I lie because I asked Kenny about that and he says he doesn’t even know my Man and he didn’t make my stairs!!!

P.S. Kenny's Plumber just left, (we needed a new valve in our Boiler) and as he was leaving he saw my Man and they waved... do you know him David asked, 'Oh yes I know him very well' and off he went to greet him... bugger I didn't have a chance to ask the Plumber if he organized my Man to put in the stairs!! I can't imagine the Plumber doing that but????? BTW they are dreadful stairs and still scary to walk up or down.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There mustnt be much of a deterrent if the crack houses are so prolific. Appalling isnt it.
Kerry

Monday 14 November 2005 at 07:14:00 GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home