Thursday 10 November 2005

Ministering to my Flock... by David

Frequently when I am out and about in Wood Green I am asked for directions, I must have an appearance which convinces people that I will know: or is it something about tan shoes and not sneakers that tips the balance? In two days I was asked three times for advice: first an old gentleman with a very old copy of the A to Z (Gregory’s for London) wanted Palace Gates Road: he was within a whisker but just on the wrong side of the railway line, which his very old map did not show. I took a punt, as Alexandra Palace is the big landmark around here, and said to go over the railway, and looking at his map we found the road over the line became his street further on.
I had gone to Alexandra Palace Station to collect from the nearby Wood Green post delivery office a parcel for Pennie, but I left it too late and the office closed at 12.30, and her indoors was not pleased so I had to go back the next day. On the walk up I noticed Bradley Road, and wondered if it might be a shortcut up to the station. I decided not, but within fifteen minutes I encountered a young mum with pram and child looking perplexedly at her A to Z. Feeling very confident I asked could I help: she wanted Bradley Road! Two happy members of the congregation.
Within five minutes a truckie pulled up, a container delivery from Harwich Docks, wanting Coburg Road. He had his computer print out of the Internet sat. nav. thing but it was hopeless because it left out whole chunks of intermediate streets, including the road he was now on. When it said turn right into Park Road, it hadn’t actually told you what street you would be on to do that. I had seen Coburg Road, vaguely, some weeks ago, while trying to find the Woolworths rear entrance to collect our £29.99 microwave. I pointed him in the direction of a distant gasometer and said, “No promises, ask when you get nearer”. Being subject to occasional bouts of conscientiousness, I checked later in my A to Z and found I had put him on the right track: Coburg Road leads off the road I sent him down!
Lest you imagine that I am limited to destinations in the vicinity of Alexandra Palace, I was at Wood Green tube the other day, returning from my expedition to see the Veteran Cars leave Hyde Park Corner for the annual run to Brighton, when a young man asked the tube staff where was the Library. She didn’t know, so I had to step in. However pride is said to come before a fall: if I am not careful I could end up sending somebody to Stratford in East London (a demolition site in readiness for the Olympics) when what they really want is Stratford to see about the Bard.
Those religious people get it wrong all the time about the End of the World, you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home