Monday 12 November 2007

It's been a Booky sort of week...


Books.JPG, originally uploaded by Pennie David.

When Cricket is on the Radio I can only listen to it for so long before I'm pulling my hair out and start looking for a good Talking Book so in the last few days I've listened to...

Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier read by John Nettles which was wonderful escapism and I only remembered snippets of from when I read it in my teen years.

Five Quarters of an Orange by Joanne Harris read by Rula Lenska, one of my favourite books of all time and Rula Lenska is a marvelous reader with just the right French accent.

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome read brilliantly by David McCallum. This might be my most read book of all time and once again I've been highly amused by this little bit... 'We woke late the next morning and at Harris' earnest desire partook of a plain breakfast then we cleaned up and put everything straight a continual labor which was beginning to afford me a pretty clear insight into a question that had often posed me... namely... How a woman with the work of only one house on her hands manages to pass away her time!!

The Right Attitude to Rain by Alexander McCall Smith read by Hillary Neville. Very easy to listen to.

Maigret Sets a Trap by Georges Simenon a BBC Full-Cast Dramatisations of short stories... wonderful!

At night in bed I've been reading.. The Passions of Chelsea Kane by Barbara Delinsky... Now this book surprised me... I read about a third through then had to read the ending, I read some more then read in the middle, I read some more then read three quarters though then the end again then read the book to the finish. Other than the fact that there is too much sex used as unnecessary padding the story is really strong and really took my imagination... it was fast and furious at times, full of wonderful descriptions that make me feel like I wanted to be there and that I would know this town if I walked into it and there are lots of twists and unexpected turns!! A wonderful read and something has to be said for a book that you can read bits of and still look forward to reading it right through.

Now back to Alexander McCall Smith and Isabel Dalhousie with The Careful use of Compliments.

Thankfully the Cricket is over for a while... my brain is in overload at the moment!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dy said...

I've just listened to Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier! Aren't her stories wonderful. Mine was read by Samantha Bond who plays Miss Moneypenny in the new James Bond films. She has a fabulous Judy Dench type voice and did terrific gruff men's voices for the baddies. :-)

And I recently read Five Quarters Of An Orange, and I agree, it's a great book!

Monday 12 November 2007 at 17:42:00 GMT+11  
Blogger Pennie said...

Gosh that was quick Dy, only 6 minutes after I posted!! I was surprised how well John Nettles read Frenchman's Creek although it took me a little time not to think I was listening to Midsommer Murders! Hey did you know my Rodd Family used to own the real Jamaica Inn... the one Daphne Du Maurier visited and then wrote the book about!! and we think..... we think I may add not know that is... but we think she fashioned the Landowner from North Hill on our ancestor, North Hill is where Trebartha is.

Monday 12 November 2007 at 18:01:00 GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home