Sunday 26 February 2006

London... again!

My ‘Must Do’ list is getting shorter…

Today I took myself into the City and did a search for the Old Curiosity Shop made famous by Charles Dickens; I have a Lilliput Lane model of the building at home. It was a bit disappointing really :-( the building is much smaller than I thought and I don’t like the green much…didn’t go inside, it was a funky shoe shop that didn’t appeal to me at all. I had in my mind, from visits to London in the late 60’s, that the Old Curiosity Shop was a very large black and white building in a very busy part of London on a main road in fact and selling books… it’s in a very quiet back street surrounded by large modern buildings… so I must have spotted a similar looking building all those years ago… I wonder where that one is??

Walking down Kingsway, around Aldwych to the Strand you pass some pretty posh hotels and theatres, and then down the steps at Waterloo Bridge and you are on Victoria Embankment walking along the River Thames towards Westminster Bridge… I never get over that feeling of awe in this beautiful city the river may be muddy with plenty of floating rubbish but look at these photos and tell me you aren’t impressed!! I've put loads of photos up on Flicker so check out this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbin/
Cleopatra's Needle beside the River Thames.
The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey have always been on my ‘must do’ list every time I come to this country and once again I leave more impressed than I was the last time… I forgot how beautifully fine the buildings of the Houses of Parliament are and if it wasn’t for the 1,000’s of tourists milling around I would have taken even more photos. Westminster Tube Station was a surprise… look how modern and funky it is plus the platform is glassed in with the trains stopping exactly at the same spot the platform sliding doors open when the tube train’s doors are opening… clever!!
Westminster Tube Station
The Houses of Parliament
Westminster Abbey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home