Sunday 15 October 2006

Garden, Garden and more Garden...

Yesterdays heat of 38c had me inside a closed up, 24c house, only venturing outside to check the temp... so first thing this morning I was up and watering our poor garden that must have suffered so much yesterday... we are on Level 3 Water Restrictions which means:- Hand-held hosing of lawns and gardens and drip irrigation is allowed only on Wednesdays and Sundays before 10 am and after 4 pm. Mum and Dad one hour north of us are on Level 4 Water Restrictions which means no watering outside at all, only buckets of grey water from the bath or shower is permissable, it's not so bad because they have a small garden with lots of pots and they are just managing but I cannot imagine what we will do if we get to Level 4 because our garden is so large and long. We do have three Water Tanks but two of those are empty now... the sky has been grey all day but the promised rain from last night has yet to come.
This photo is for Gwillo, he transplanted these Iris from his grandparents home in Canberra before it was sold.
This is the Captain Cook Bottlebrush, Mum and Dad bought this plant for us way back in 1977, 200 years after Cook discovered Australia
This photo is for Tomo, it's one of his Grevillias that try and survive on the nature strip.
This is a close up of my favourite hedge... it's growing up one of the fences of thetennis court.
Playing tennis for the next couple of months is bliss... the smell is delightful.
I love lavender... rows and rows of Lavender.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your hedge. It’s some sort of jasmine I think. It smells particularly fragrant in the evening and probably more so if you play tennis only during daylight hours.

We don't have any growing at our house, but when we go for a walk at night, we collect large bunches from other peoples' gardens, as well as other fragrant flowers, such as gardenias.

We call this type of collecting during our evening strolls "midnight potpourri". The only hindrance is the occassionally unexpected large and possessive dog.

Despite the lack of fragrance, I was particularly attracted by a stand of unusually coloured tulips a couple of weeks ago from the garden two doors down. We met these people when we did our last mock Salvation Army collection day. We do this twice a year as well as Red Cross. It pays for our lawnmowing man and Julie's aquarobics classes. These near neighbours are always sad because they have a child with a grossly malformed head who will never appreciate "Better Homes & Gardens", either the TV show or the associated magazine. We have tried to comfort this young couple by reminding them that their son (or it could be their daughter - that's another problem), is one of "God's favourites".

There might be a drought and the seas may be rising, but I think the roses are particularly good this year. The lack of rain has also meant the azaleas have lasted much longer without the usual petal blight.

I’m hoping the effects of global warming mean that I will get more than the usual dozen lychees from our tree. For that reason I support our government for not signing the Kyoto Agreement.

Peter S

Saturday 21 October 2006 at 11:58:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pennie

I've seen several of Peter S's comments in your blog. Who is he or she and why do you put up with his offensive remarks? I think this nasty person is invading your private world, full as it is with the joys of travel, handicrafts, hobbies and
your wonderful family with all their talents.

As you know, I've been visiting Nana in hospital every Sunday now for two years. I went this morning. I always contribute to the ladies' auxillary - they do such good work - by buying Nana a bunch of flowers.

Although she can't see them, I put them in the vase near her pan. I can always see from the smile of delight on the side of her face which has movement that she can smell the flowers. I know if she could talk she would remind me of the time we all went on the picnic and I fell in the lake while pretending to be a duck.

Funny after all these years and after three beautiful children how I still love pretending to be animals, particulary water fowl - as you know from every time I call over for tea and a chat.

Some news. Hymie Noella just sent us a photo of herself and little Brust Evelyn outside Clarence House - and it could have been me and my baby Hymie in exactly the same place 19 years ago!

Anyway, Peter S, who I usually despise, gave me an idea. Last night, despite the cold and the rain, I put on my gloves and went out with my secateurs and collected a beautiful bunch of yellow roses from next door. I also cut some stems with large buds. Nana was so pleased. The buds should flower in about a week which means that I might go to the club or bowls next Sunday instead of the hospital.

I've nearly finshed my latest quilt. I can't wait to show it to you and the others. Like my other quilts (and pillow cases), it is in my own usual style, blue with green edges. The blue section has teal and other native ducks made from squares which I've cut out from old dishcloths. I've made them look like they are swimming away from eels made from black umbrella cloth.

See you at 333 on Wednesday for our usual.

Love

Jennifer

Sunday 22 October 2006 at 14:12:00 GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home