Wednesday 14 December 2005

Windsor... Berkshire not NSW!

Windsor Castle.
Once again we find ourselves on the North Circular… Car Park!!!!! Is there ever a time of day that one can drive steadily along these Circulars??? Anyway… David does some clever calculations and we dive off at some junction and weave our way through some suburbs that were so undistinguishable that we’ve forgotten their names already…to the M25 and Windsor. I love Windsor especially at this time of year when there are hardly any tourists about, it costs £10 each to get in and the Security is very noticeable and heavy with Police standing guard holding large German automatic rifles in the ready to shoot position, not very technical description but you know what I mean and I didn't think they would like me if I took their photo.
Queen Mary's Dolls House Kitchen, I always love to see the Kitchens no matter where we go!
I love Queen Mary’s Dolls House and can gaze at it again and again and dream that one day I will make a dolls house of ‘333’… mmmm… one day maybe! This incredible dolls house was never made for children to play with, it was made in 1921 by Sir Edwin Lutyens and intended to be an historical record of the ideal early 20th century English house and meant to be a source of fun and even a light-hearted joke… so says the book. The house was originally a star exhibit at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924 and intended to promote international trade and economic growth after the war. Miniature goods were made by British manufacturers of the day from Wisden cricket bats to Waring and Gillow furniture to Royal Dalton plates to Purdey guns, Rolls-Royce motors, Coopers Oxford marmalade and Rowntree’s sweets…oh I just love it all. Then we tour Windsor Castle it’s self… the Christmas Tree is up with some decoration but any Christmas decoration added to this place just clashes too much with all the gilt and fuss… I can appreciate a drawing by Leonardo da Vinci but an over carved over gilt side table… nope!! It all makes me shudder… the rooms are absolutely beautifully proportioned with the windows giving incredible views over the surrounding countryside but the decor leaves me cold! Boy I’m glad I wasn’t born a Royal, I know I live in a clutter but at least it’s not gilt clutter LOL! http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page557.asp

Now St Georges Chapel I do like, the fine stonework and stained glass is simple in comparison to the Castle… my favourite Church/Cathedral so far!
These must be the classiest Car Park Toilets I've ever seen.
After lunch in the old Windsor Railway Station, now turned into cafés and shops we head out to Datchet and the Royal Farms… I’ve been wanting to visit the Windsor Farm Shop since seeing that show about the Royals on the telly at home earlier this year, the Duke showed us the shop and I’ve been dying to go and buy something in it since we got here!! We sighted not a single Royal but David did ask the checkout girl if she was a Princess… she wasn’t but I think we made her day!! I’ve devoured the Yoghurt which was almost as good as Harris Farm at home, I’m munching on a Tomato sandwich for lunch right now…Yummo! For Christmas lunch we have Bramley Apple Juice, Cranberry Sauce, Chestnut Stuffing and Baking Potatoes. It is an incredible shop with all meats, preserves, cheeses, breads, cakes and much more made on one of the Royal Farms… Wonderful!!
Royal Farm Entrance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home