Monday 12 September 2005

Edinburgh

It took me two Qwell and 7 hours to get from London to Edinburgh, I reckon it would have been quicker to drive and much more pleasant but we are here and it's absolutely delightful! I've always loved Scotland. Lovely crispness to the air and those wonderful lilting accents... we were met at the Airport by one very old single decker bus that David was in raptures about... of course my drugged brain didn't register what model or year it was but I will let David fill you in on those details when we have better Internet access.
The buildings in Edinburgh are wonderfully austere, mostly made of a grey stone and very straight up and down with regimented neat streets and if you're lucky you catch a glimpse through shining windows of well polished wood and a wonderful warmth. Not unlike some buildings in Melbourne. Colour is everywhere with flower boxes full of Geraniums, Lobelia, Pansys and enormous Begonias it's a riot of colour... so far we've had excellent meals and are yet to see any Deep Fried Hamburgers or Deep Fried Mars Bars as we'd been told... maybe that will come!
Lunch yesterday was under the Forth Rail Bridge which is a rather wonderful looking old bridge, I do remember David raving about it last time we were in Scotland!!
Today David was in heaven at the Scottish Bus Museum, I went along with him in the morning but decided to potter around the wonderful Pitbauchlie House Hotel and gardens this afternoon. Tomorrow after more Bus stuff we head to Stirling for two nights, I'm looking forward to pottering around there on my own. I'm writing this in haste... I've never had to pay for Internet Access before, it's a bit nerve raking!!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful Mum and Dad.

How do you pronounce Pitbauchlie??? Sounds lovely.

That's so sweet they picked you up in a single decker. I think when Jackson is rich and famous he will request to be picked up by historic buses from each airport.

Monday 12 September 2005 at 08:38:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pennie and David
I hope you are enjoying Scotland whether it's buses or fabric or scenery as a nee McDougall I revel in all things Scottish.I miss you in Sydney Pennie because that's where I expect you to be Love Christine from Bathurst

Monday 12 September 2005 at 19:47:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to swap places!!!
Tim

Tuesday 13 September 2005 at 13:36:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello pennie & david,
it sounds like you're having a fantastic time!
i've started painting the bus pink and it looks wonderful! gwil is sourcing some pink leather for me to cover the seats in... just joking!
but wouldn't it look pretty in pink?
can't wait to see some photos of your trip so far.
em

Wednesday 14 September 2005 at 16:17:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I know who the first anon is, and I know why Tim wants to swap places too! Lovely to read from you PennieD. Will you please persuade my DH that we really need to visit the UK? Having been born there, he has no desire to return, silly man! And David - I can just see you, blissful amongst the buses.
Big hugs
Cori

Wednesday 14 September 2005 at 20:10:00 GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pen & David
Great to read all the news. I can hardly read through everything without feeling insanely jealous. Girls at Tennis keep asking about you. Must get them all onto the blog they don't know what they are missing out on.Love to you both. Look after yourselves.xxxxxxxxxx

Tuesday 20 September 2005 at 17:08:00 GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home