Thursday 23 August 2007

Rock 'n' Roll

Watching 'Spicks & Specks' last night, one of my favourite shows on the telly, when Adam Hills asked all the others to tell us the first Rock Concert they'd been to, my first thought was that I'd never been to a Rock Concert but then I remembered going to see Louis Armstrong at White City in Rushcutters Bay way back in the 1950's, I know he was Jazz but he was the closest thing to Rock back then. I was only a child, maybe 10 or 11, and in those days if they couldn't fill the venue they would give free tickets to the Army, so Dad and Mum took me... He was fantastic but the seats were dreadful and I got into trouble from Mum for tapping my feet LOL
Now this got me going... One of David's friends took me to see 'The Seekers' at the Sydney Town Hall just before I flew to England to marry, they were fantastic! Then David and I were lucky to have third row seats for the 1988 'Legends of Rock' hosted by Col Joye, who was the best! the show stared Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley and the Everly Brothers... what a line up eh!
I also went with a friend to see Elton John, 'seeing' is a bit of a misnomer because our seats were too far away. Same friend and I saw Paul McCartney at Parramatta Stadium he was absolutely wonderful but we had sore necks because we had to twist in our seats to see him and Linda at the back. I would have loved to have seen the 'Beatles' and Johnny O'Keefe, I still sing along to their music when I hear it.
Which Rock Concert was your first??



My creation, originally uploaded by Pennie David.

Louis Armstrong, The Seekers, Col Joye, Bo Diddley, Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Elton John and Paul McCartney.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoot came to Swan Hill, I still prefer their version of Eleanor Rigby.
I thought that Sherbert did too but perhaps I dreamt it. Sadly... I'm not sure. I was until I asked Peter and he said that he couldnt recall them coming. Confusing!
KLM

Friday 24 August 2007 at 15:45:00 GMT+10  
Blogger Pennie said...

I must be so much older than you Kerry, I don't even know who Zoot are LOL I've heard of Sherbert though. Have you heard of all my Rockers?? Nerys almost flipped when she read that I'd seen Louis Armstrong :-) I wouldn't have thought she would have heard of him. Pennie

Friday 24 August 2007 at 18:40:00 GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home