Monday 5 June 2006

Jackson Harry asks...

Last week Jackson Harry was heard to ask his Mummy ‘Why doesn’t Charlie have his own quilt? Why hasn’t Pennie made him one?’

Well Pennie thought it would be OK if Charlie (now 5 weeks old) used the little quilt she made for Jackson that covers the capsule in the car, or borrow one of Jackson’s other 4 quilts until Charlie turned one and got his own big ‘I Spy’ quilt just like Jackson and Abigail did... but apparently not.

So Pennie feeling a little guilty, but a lot proud... that her 3 year old Grandson would not only think of such things, but ask... racked her brain for something quick to make that Jack would be impressed with and Charlie would eventually enjoy as well.

A couple of years ago I bought one of those panels that has a sort of map on it with roads and buildings, I bought it out a few times for Jack to play with but never got around to doing anything with it... ahhhha just perfect for Charlie Ripley.

I found backing fabric in my stash that was given to me by a friend who knew David liked transport vehicles... it has tickets, railway clocks, oil cans, conductors and so on... this was perfect for quick project. I found some scrap batting, layered the three together and machine quilted along the roads and around the buildings.

Jackson Harry came to play with David and me yesterday while his Mummy had a quiet day at home with Charlie, and his Daddy went back to his monthly Golf game... I told JH that Pennie was making a quilt for Charlie... he jumped up off his chair and asked to see it so I hung it back side first over the couch and listened to him going Ooooh, wow... look at that ticket, look at that clock then he became impatient and turned the quilt over... the Oooh’s and Aaaah’s and Wow’s became louder and continuous as he saw the roads, the airport, the police station, the school, the play area and the shops, particularly the bakery with the cupcake on the roof. ‘Charlie will like this quilt, it’s fantastic!’ he said... and my heart just melted.

I was up till 1pm last night finishing this panel quilt off so we could take it to Charlie today... David and I had been invited for a morning tea of Fairy Bread made by Jackson... Jack saw me carrying the quilt and couldn’t place it over a sleeping Charlie quickly enough as he pointed out, to the still sleeping Charlie, the Bakery, the Fire Station and so on.

What a dear little boy Jackson Harry is... and gee I’m glad I can make quilts!!
Charlie Ripley and Jackson Harry
Jackson trying to get Charlie to look at the camera.
Charlie just before he christened his first quilt with a little milk overflow!!
The Quilt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Pennie
How glad I am that not only have you spawned a transport genius but a quilt genius!
Oh Jackson Harry you are so beyond your years!
BFN Chrsitine in WET Bathurst where we've had some rain for the first time this year

Wednesday 7 June 2006 at 19:22:00 GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home